Wednesday, October 13, 2010

THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES- PART II OF Adventure at Baylor

I decided not to make this an entirely new blog. Being a total novice at Blogging, I wasn't sure what that would do to the people who have book-marked the other title. So it is just a technicality- after all, my doctors in Houston, for the most part, are on the faculty of the Baylor College of Medicine, which is the Medical School. It is very confusing, as I was myself TOTALLY confused at the beginning, because I made an assumption that if I was approved in Dallas under the auspices of Baylor Medical Center, that would automatically transfer to Houston. NOT. They are two entirely different institutions, and NEITHER ONE has any connection with the University in Waco. It is an interesting diversion, but not one I'm particularly interested in investigating right now- basically it gets down to Southern Baptist theology vs.21st century science. Enough said.

Well, I have yet another wonderful visit to report. Steve & I have lamented upon the fact that since the death of his dad, which was just a year after the death of his mom, the family produced by these two people has pretty much fallen apart in terms of getting toether for birthdays, Christmas, etc. We see our children and grandchildren (for the most part) and Steve's sister Sherri sees hers. However, we no longer gather as a group for someone's birthday, or on Christmas Eve following church. So I just decided to do something about it while I still could. Our oldest grandchild is the only one we never see- it is simply because she was raised by her father, and when she visited her mother, it was usually in the home of her maternal grandmother- that would be Steve's first wife. Basically, no one made it easy for her to see us when she was a young child, so we had to wait until she grew up. She was 25 last month, and we did see her a year ago, when she was married here at St John's Lutheran. In fact, because we were the only family members who lived in Beaumont who owned a freezer, we were selected (again, by Steve's ex-wife) to take the bottom layer of the wedding cake home and take care of it while the kids were on their honeymoon. That turned out to be until this week! That cake occupied an entire shelf in our freezer- but in truth, we didn't have all that much stuff to put there. Our beautiful granddaughter's name is Brittany Brinkley (her married name). She & Brannen had, like many young people today, observed a different order when it came to creating a family. They moved in together & had a son 3 years ago, His name is Braden, and he is just darling. Then a year ago, they made it all legal, and we watched as the three of them danced at the wedding- Brittany & Brannen holding Braden. (They are big on the "Br" combination, since it was a given when they met. They are working on selecting a name for a second child that starts with Br). Well, we also have a 25-year-old niece, Summer Ramirez. She & her husband Eddie have 2 little boys- Brody & Braxton- so they are into the Br combo as well. I called Summer, because we have seen a lot more of her than we have of Brittany, and I just told her that I really didn't want the next occasion that brought the Garrett family together to be my funeral, because I wouldn't be there to enjoy it, so could we work on engineering it to happen sooner. I asked her to call Brittany and find a time when the daddies could babysit the boys, since I really wanted to visit the girls, and am not supposed to be around young children right now. (They carry the biggest chance of infecting me with an upper respiratory infection, AKA a "common cold", except that with a pre or post transplant patient, there is nothing simple or "common" about a cold. Anyway, it turned out to be amazingly simple, and the girls were at our house yesterday at 3:00!

No comments:

Post a Comment