Tuesday, September 21, 2010

It's Only Stuff- second try

Not being an experienced blogger, I have no idea what happened with that previous post. When I first started it, a few days ago, it just hung- so I went to bed & tonight thought I'd try again. Same problem. So I just published what I had written and decided to start anew. We'll see what happens.

So Stratton and Brian came on Friday and left Sunday. Stratton had a great video that he took of Lucy at the animal hospital. I'll ask him to post it sometime. She has on one of those Elizabethan collars, and amazingly, she isn't fighting it. Of course it is necessary to prevent her from licking her paw which is lacerated to the point that there isn't enough skin left to cover it. But she is getting excellent care, and when they returned to Dallas, they were pleased with her progress.

This week, I have to make 2 trips to Houston. Today, Steve & I went over at noon in order for him to see John for his issues: his weight (joining Weight Watchers tomorrow- they finally found a class that he can make), and his terribly deteriorated right hip. He truly needs a hip replacement as badly as I need a set of lungs, but it sets him off for me to say that. Bless his heart, he is so good- all of you who know him well will agree. The heartbreaking thing is that it is just as hard for Steve to walk as it is for me. So as the song that sort of "brought us together" goes- "Aren't we a pair? Don't you agree?" I am so loquacious that my cousin/doctor John says that I was vaccinated with a Victrola needle, and he claims to have been here to witness it! And then there is Steve- who has made a number of trips at the wheel of our van while the other 3 people in the car talked up a storm, and he hasn't said a word. But if you ask him, he isn't depressed, or angry or anything else- he is just quiet.

OK- I wanted to write about the title of this installation: you know what Stratton has come down for most recently is to finally get the rest of our boxes unpacked. They have beenin the carport, stacked on either side of my car, lending the house the unfortunate appearance of a bunch of Gypsy pack rats. Much of it was memorabilia, and things I had collected over the years, and no one wanted to start throwing away things that I was keeping for a certain reason. So at some point Saturday, Stratton came into the kitchen and said "I have some very bad news. My baby book is ruined." Well, that was a bad blow. There were many other things that could have been sacrificed easily that were fine- but no, I had to lose really "good" stuff. As an aside, Stratton added, "And it gets worse- Trilby's book was below mine in the box!" As I stopped what I was doing to look over the two items, I realize that they were not entirely ruined- just damaged, and then I got to thinking about all the things other people had lost from those three hurricanes, and when I ask myself what it is that constitutes true value. And I come up with lots of non-tangibles, along with things like the baby books.

The next time I write, I will try to describe what is going on with me physically right now- basically, it's not real good. But I also have a wonderful blessing to report in my serendipitous visit tonight with Chaplain Sandy Londa. Til then- all my best- which includes no stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment