Thursday, December 2, 2010

Transplant a Success!

This is Stratton posting for Eileen

In what would seem record time, the surgeons at Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas completed a double lung transplant on my mom last night in 4.5 hours. They wheeled her into surgery at 11:30 pm and the surgeon was out at 4 am talking to Steve and my sister, Trilby. They got to see her at 5:45 am. She was on a ventilator but now is awake and breathing on her own. This is a modern miracle. I am still in Dallas wrapping up my work week. I will drive down to Houston tomorrow and spend the weekend there with her. Once again, please do not send any flowers as she can not have them in her room. She is in ICU but as soon as she is in a regular room I will post that information along with the mailing address for Methodist Hospital. A thousandfold thanks to everyone who prayed for her or the young man who made this possible. If you haven't registered as an organ donor then I implore you to do so. There are thousands of Americans who die every year from Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis because there aren't enough organs donated to meet the demand. My mom was lucky. She has a long recovery ahead of her but I'm confident she will make it.

xoxo shd

No comments:

Post a Comment